Friday, October 17, 2008
Nut Allergies
Yesterday I watched a mom feed her 2 year old daughter a brownie full of walnuts. As I watched it was so weird to think that very brownie could kill N who is allergic to nuts. The first time he had a reaction he was about 2 years old. He began wheezing heavily after eating some Petite Fours. E and I decided to give him benadryl and bath. He broke out in a rash around his mouth and threw up. We checked the ingredients and they had some kind of almond product. After visiting an allergist we were told he is deathly allergic to nuts. Although I do not make him wear his medic alert bracelet now - he will have to when he attends Kindergarten. We have a large red bag hanging by the front door with his EPI pen, benadryl, a video on how to administer an EPI and how to recognize the need for one. He is so good about asking everyone before he eats anything if it has nuts. I'm sure he doesn't totally understand his life depends on it but he is diligent about asking. Last week he teased an older brother by taking a bite of a candy bar and falling down dead. I'm glad he has a sense of humor about it. Its odd to me that E. has raised 10 children and only 1 has a nut allergy. I can't wait until they solve the problem. I have thought a lot about it and I am not convinced it has to with all the shots children get or the over exposure to nuts as his allergist believes. I think if you mess with nature you get unintended results which can't always be foreseen.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am that older brother, and I wish we had it on tape. After making sure a Mint Musketeer was ok to eat, he took a bite and started walking away. After about five steps he dropped face first and just lay there on the floor. It wasn't until I noticed his little body shaking with silent laughter that I realized the little twerp was faking it... Gotta love the kid!
Post a Comment