Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Last night we were talking about gratitude. N. said he was grateful for the people the Indians helped. We weren't sure exactly what he was talking about so he told a story about how the people were not ready for winter but the Indians were watching and helped them get ready. We realized he was talking about the pilgrims. I used to think pre school was not important. I was sure I could teach my children everything they needed to know before kindergarten to be ready. That was before I had to go to work and before Miss Patti. Neither of my children ever tell/told me directly what Patti taught, it was just sprinkled in conversations at dinner, during family home evening or in questions they asked. Do you know what nocturnal means? Do you know what a Harvest man is? Do you know what hibernate means? I'm not sure I would have thought to teach my children the Pledge of Allegiance, or God Bless America. Perhaps I would have taught them about the solar system and dinosaurs - but probably not as well. Most importantly Miss Patti has taught my children that learning is interesting and fun. She has taught them how to behave socially in a classroom. H. believes every teacher is terrific, because Miss Patti is terrific. Now I firmly believe pre school is important. But I think Miss Patti is an extra special teacher and I wish every teacher believed in their students as much as she does.

No comments: