Wednesday, January 26, 2011


Much used and loved dictionary, which is actually one of the items I brought with me to AK.
 Reading is a favorite activity of our family which often competes with the time we should be sleeping.  Last night while I was actually trying to doze off, my children were each reading and telling me little facts from their books.  Hailey is reading Founding Mothers by Cokie Roberts and Nate was reading the dictionary.  So amid the silence I would hear comments like "Listen to this mom, Abigail ....... " or "Hey mom, did you know Charlotte is a type of dessert?".  My response would be a grunt.   But my attempts at sleep were destroyed by this conversation:

N:  Mom, I want to look up the word Nate.  I'm in the Q's were do I go?
Me:  MNOPQ, go back. It's in alphabetical order. 
N: I'm in S now.
Me:  MNOPQ, you're going the wrong direction. (Made a mental note to show him alphabetical order ...    tomorrow)
N: I'm in P now.
Me: MNOP, keep going back.  (I'm curled up under blanket not about to move.)
N:  I'm in N's, ok I need NA
H:  Here let me help you.
N: There is no Nate just nates.  It means buttocks.  (Laughter)
Me:  Are you sure?
N & H:  Yes.
H:  My nates itch.  (More laughter)
Me:  Put the dictionary down and go to bed.

Who knew reading the dictionary could be fun?  Now I'm afraid our family has a new phrase at least until it loses it's novelty.

1 comment:

The Layton Family said...

Ha ha ha!!!! That is hilarious! Thanks for the laugh. Carla and I are still laughing about at!