Friday, January 21, 2011

 A few weeks ago tired of the dinner hour conversation being peppered with "eat your broccoli", "take a few more bites of this or that", I tried to find a solution.  After reading some ideas on the Internet I settled on putting questions into a jar for discussion at the table.  We talked about the rules:   One person picks a question.  They can choose to answer it or come up with their question. Everyone listens to that person while they talk.  Try to really listen and not think about how you would answer the question.  We have had so much fun answering questions, the food we are eating often takes a backseat.   Last night's question for Eric was "How would you spend your ideal day?".  Here are the highlights:

Eric- We would see the Padres win game 7 and later he would attend a Pink Floyd concert with front row seats. After which mom would suddenly realize she was wrong all these years and decide Pink Floyd really was the best band in the world. 
Hailey- She would spend the whole day with her brothers, sisters, nieces, and nephews in Colorado.
Nate- His ideal day would include winning a million dollars and buying the world.

As I listened to the family chatter it occurred to me that my day had been ideal.  It didn't include any amazing events, winning any money, or even visiting all the loved ones we miss.  It was just an ordinary day, getting the kids off to school, cleaning the house, taking care of the dogs....

 A walk in the newly fallen snow.  The paths hadn't been cleared yet and it was a workout.


A morning quilting and laughing with my friends.

Practicing the mom dance for Hailey's upcoming recital. Picking the kids up from school.  Helping with homework then calling everyone together to help with dinner.  Nothing would be different about our evening either.  Dance class for Hailey, bath for Nate, play a game or two, scriptures, prayer, and bed.  Late night T.V. watching with Eric.

 I don't remember where but I once heard you could a take mental snapshot of a moment you wanted to remember.  So right then and there I took a mental snapshot of my family enjoying a good discussion and eating food without complaining. I'm so grateful for the suggestion which made the moment possible and helped to create an ideal day.

6 comments:

The Layton Family said...

I love this post Charlotte! What a special time in your life.

The Layton Family said...

Dad. . .

No I was never subjected to such an awful thing as the COLD. It was only things like bird's nests, incredibly small corners to call my bed, fish sticks, and Pink Floyd! If only I could be more like you :)

Jason.and.Carla said...

Bahahaha! I love everyone. =]

Char Char... Love this post! So fun!

Charlotte said...

Megan, I totally forgot about birds nests for breakfast. Hysterical....and gross!!! Really your dad would love to make that for you this next weekend to redeem himself. What no decorating award for making a bed support out cinder blocks and skis? You were all such good sports!

Charlotte said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Layton Family said...

This is too funny! Oh the memories:) I really did like that bed. I'll pass on the birds nest though. The other day I dehydrated potatoes for the first time and they turned out looking a little too much like the infamous breakfast dish. Oops!