Monday, January 10, 2011

Miss Charlotte

When I was a work outside the home mom, one of the things I missed was volunteering at  Hailey's school. Parents were supposed to do four  hours of volunteer work a year and mine was done by donating whatever items were needed for class parties or projects.   Once we moved and I was not a work outside the home mom, I decided to spend two to three hours of every Friday at the school as a volunteer in Nathan's classroom (Hailey's teachers don't usually need the help).   Some people probably enjoy working in the teacher's workroom cutting out all the bits and pieces for 20 turkeys, laminating hundreds of numbers, copying countless worksheets, or grading tests. I'm not one of them.  Regardless of the work, I do love being Miss Charlotte or Nathan's mom.

When I walk into the classroom everyone gets so excited to see me, this doesn't happen anywhere else.  Everyone has to give me their small updates for the week about which teeth they've lost, what parties they've been invited too, and what they are going to do over the weekend.  They also give me updates even if they see me outside of school. Yesterday at church one of the boys in Nate's class was leaving the chapel to get drink.  He stopped in front me and whispered he'd lost a tooth and pointed it out.  I gave him a big thumbs up and he gave me the cutest smile ever. 

One of my favorite times is actually working with the children.  There was a little girl named Malina that liked Nathan last year.  She would stand a little too close, lean on him, and follow him everywhere.  Although she was adorable I wanted her to stay away from my son.  Then while I was helping groups of children with reading assignments she gave me a very sweet smile and said "Miss Charlotte, I like you".  My heart just melted. 

But the best part of volunteering is how excited Nathan is every Friday.  He always reminds me every Friday at breakfast not to forget to come to the school.  Once I arrive in the classroom he gives me a little hug as soon as he can.  He is so proud to have me there. 

The teachers for the older grades rarely need help and in a few years my volunteering days at the school will come to an end.  I also know the children won't be so excited to see me or to give me little updates. So for now I'm just going to enjoy being Miss Charlotte and deal with the tedious task of cutting and laminating.

2 comments:

Will Murdoch said...

I love how excited my kids are when I'm in their class as well. And I, like you, hate the cutting and laminating. I think the teachers do too...that's why they make us do it. :)

candace said...

Very nice. Yes, enjoy it while you can!! I enjoyed volunteering at Westgate while Sara was there, and Sara loved it, too. I don't get the chance out here with me working. It means so much to the kids, though, so defintely enjoy :)