Last night I started feeling blue thinking about the kids going back to school and Eric back to work. We had a fun but quiet Christmas vacation. Here are the highlights:
It started with Hailey getting her finger smashed in a car door on the school field trip the last day of school. Her finger looks much better but still hurts quite a bit.
Nate asked me at dinner one night how long it takes to make soy sauce (3 to 6 months min.) which gave me something to think about during vacation. What have I learned from my children this year? I have never wondered how long it takes to make soy sauce until Nate asked. I didn't know the Puritans practiced "holy watching" a righteous form of spying on your neighbors to make sure they were obeying the commandments until Hailey told me about it. (The thought gives me the creeps.) They have both taught me so much this year either through their questions or telling me what they've learned at school.
We spent time ice skating. One day it was minus 15 outside Nate repeatedly asked me to take him skating. I kept telling him that if it got warmer, say closer to zero I'd take him. When it was about minus 10 and he was bouncing off the walls with cabin fever, I relented. I realized that I could just drive across the street, sit in the car and watch him skate. I brought a good book, some hot chocolate, warmed up the car and watched both Nate and Hailey skate. Although I felt very lazy - this was the way ice skating was done over vacation.
Last year I vowed not to the let the cold and dark get to us. I made the kids get up and we did all kinds of activities. This year, the cold and dark got to us. I slept until it got light outside (10:30 AM) and we stayed up too late (midnight) every night. We watched movies, played games, ate junk food, and just hung out. Our church services moved from 1:00 PM to 9:00 AM starting the first Sunday in January. The jolt of having to get out of bed in the dark for the first time (Christmas morning was the exception) in a couple of weeks was almost more than I could stand. The dark is really getting to me this year.
I made tamales this year as gifts for neighbors and friends. I needed something to lift my mood (because of the dark). I love both making and eating tamales but by the time I had made about 10 dozen I was second guessing this decision. When I started getting questions about what to do with them, I really second guessed my decision. Next year, I think I'll do it again but include directions on the card.
Hailey and Nate woke us up early on Christmas day excited about their presents. After all the presents were opened Hailey declared it was her best Christmas ever. That comment makes all the work involved to pull Christmas off - completely worth it.
The electricity went out while we were cooking Christmas dinner. The crab legs were just about to go into the oven when we were plunged into darkness. My mouth had been watering for a week any time I thought about those crab legs. Back into the freezer they went. We had a nice fire going so the baked potatoes and rolls went into the fire place. The candles were lit and the coffee table moved close to the fire. The potatoes were not evenly cooked, some of the rolls burned but dinner was still yummy. The electricity was out for about 4 hours.
Eric and I celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary. I'm so grateful that he is my best friend and sweetheart.
We learned that Boone's blindness has made him a much friendlier dog. We took him to the groomer's and he behaved perfectly. He didn't try to bite anyone.
I made a baby quilt from start to finish and got it mailed out. It was so hard to pick fabric because there are so many cute options. It just felt good to finish the project so our newest grandbaby could use it.
| The kids loved this picture of Boone. He looks like an alien. |
| Bessie loves her new bed from Santa. When we got up on Christmas morning she was sleeping in it. |
4 comments:
char: i love reading your blog! i would have never remembered that it is "dark" up there in Alaska if you hadn't talked about it. i'm pretty sure that getting up to go to church for 9am would be dreadful if you usually are escaping the adrkness by sleeping! ack!!! good luck with school starting up again!
What a great post! I'm sorry it's so dark and cold. I would have sat in the car and watched kids ice skate too. I think staying up late and playing games and eating treats sounds heavenly. Isn't Christmas vacation great?!
I love your picture on Hailey's blog. I know you feel bummed about the darkness, but you look great, if that helps any. I wish I were there to ice skate with Hailey and Nate. I'd give you quite a laugh!!!
Another great post! I love reading your blog, too.
UGH! I would not be doing well with the cold or dark, either. Sorry to hear it's been harder this year. But I think sleepping in late and staying up late watching movies sounds like fun - and it's what I remember about previous Christmas vacations :)
Post a Comment