Sunday, January 25, 2009


I started back to work full time this week. I was worried that increasing my hours from 9 - 4 to 8:15 - 5:15 would be very difficult. As it turned out however, it doesn't seem that much longer and the kids don't seem to be noticing the difference too much. They are being watched by a big sister and having a lot of fun with her. Although there is less time at home, I still managed to spend some time in the kitchen learning new things.

First, I learned to fillet a fish (the Rainbow Trout Eric caught a few weeks ago) and it cooked up beautifully. It had a lighter flavor than Salmon. The cookbook I got from the library advised that using a cast iron pan heated for 15 minutes on broil would work better than the broiling pan that comes with most stoves. It worked great and the pan was so much easier to clean. Eric normally does catch and release except when he goes fishing with his friend Tom. The picture above is a trip we did with the kids and we brought home a lot of Salmon. The kids had just learned the fish were not going to live. Not knowing how to fillet the fish we didn't really enjoy it because of the bones.
Second, I made a batch of granola (which is Eric's specialty), it made the house smell yummy.

Last, I tried again to make lemon squares as good as my mother-in-laws. No luck, hers are still better.
Our weekend activity - we watched Nolan's basketball game and the kids had friends over.

No comments: