Wednesday, March 30, 2011



For about a year Eric has considered buying clippers so we can cut his hair at home since it would be simple.   Last night he actually came home with clippers and it's time for a haircut.  I decided to practice on Nate first.  I have always said I would NEVER cut my son's hair.  But after reading the directions, inspecting the combs, looking at the diagrams, it seemed doable.  

After dinner I set up shop; plastic under a chair, picked out the combs and arranged them in order, made sure I had plenty of cord and room to walk around the chair.  I was ready.  Nate was so excited.  He sat down put on the bib and declared he was ready.  I started very carefully and noticed the comb didn't seem to be cutting very much of his hair.  But I completed the lower half, changed combs and moved to the middle section of his head. 

A big clump of hair came off his head.  When it fell into his lap he held it up and said "Mom, you can put this in my scrapbook for the first time you cut my hair".  I was mortified...there was a very thin spot on his head.  I took a deep breath thinking I had accidentally rocked the clippers,  trying to keep a steady hand, I finished the middle section of his head.  There were now more very thin looking spots on the midsection of his head.  Sweating now and feeling slightly sick I changed combs to start the top of his head. 

 The center of the top of his head was really easy but the cowlick was a challenge.  I was now immune to the hair falling off his head. I stepped back to survey the cut.  It didn't look great, it didn't even look good.  In fact I checked the time hoping Great Clips might still be open.  But then I would be the laughing stock of Great Clips so the job needed to be done.  

I then read the directions for  blending and that is when I realized I had made a terrible mistake.  I had used the combs in the wrong order.   I had given him the reverse of a normal haircut.  So I pulled  three smaller combs and started all over.  This time the combs were used in the correct order.   After trying my best to blend, deal with his cowlick and work around the already very thin spots I finished my very last haircut on my son.   

He asked to see what it looked like in the back so I took a picture for him.  Since I am taller than him he didn't the notice bare spots.  It's a good thing he is 7.  

3 comments:

Jason.and.Carla said...

I think it looks great! What a cute kid. =] You did a very good job Char Char. Don't give up!

The Layton Family said...

It certainly doesn't look worse than the one I tried! I'm MUCH better now! I am very familiar with the feeling of giving a bad hair cut!

Lulu said...

I did the exact same thing to N. once and have used a barber ever since. He is so cute.