Friday a friend asked me what I do all day since my children are in school. I get asked this a lot, I suppose people wonder because I don't currently have a work outside the home job or a paying job. But it did make me think, what do I do all day? So here is what I did on Friday, it is not a typical day but many of them aren't.
6:30 Sit and chat with Eric. This is one of my favorite times of the day.
7:00 Get the kids up, make breakfast, help them get ready for school.
7:30 The neighbor girl comes over to hang out and walk to school with us. She generally wants to help with the chores. Because she doesn't have a dog she loves to feed ours.
8:15 Two more kids arrive to walk to school with us. Our house becomes a hive of activity.
8:40 Walk the kids to school. Mine are old enough to walk by themselves but this early morning blast of cold air gets me moving for the rest of the day.
9:15 See my visiting teachers are sitting in my driveway. Between them they have 5 kids all in car seats. I grab a bunch of toys and place them in the living room. One of them drives away. So I watch the news while I wait for them.
9:30 My V.T.'s are now ready and the kids all squeal in delight when they see Bessie. They chase Bessie around and feed her treats. They don't have dogs at home either so ours is a novelty. Every month I give kudos to these ladies for actually making it out of the house with the kids to visit.
9:50 Back to the school to take 19 first graders snowshoeing. Was I asked to do this? No, Nate volunteered me and Friday is the day I work as a volunteer. He loves to snowshoe. I was concerned about my knee but decided to risk it. Helped the kids put on and tighten their shoes, walked in the woods up and down some pretty steep hills. Chatted with my friend which is when I was asked the question, what do you do?
11:00 Home again. Made lunch, watched an hour of TV on the History channel with a heating pad on my knee.
12:00 Tidied the house. Interesting day so far huh? Hailey calls and lets me know she has a debate at 2:10. She would like me to come.
1:00 Addressed letters the activity day age girls wrote for a missionary in the MTC in Peru for pouch mail. Copied the letters for her parents. Worked on the next activity.
2:00 Back to the school for the debate. Hailey is representing Samuel Adams the debate is with the Loyalists. When the questions from the audience lag I jump in and ask Hailey a question. She has a fiery response. The T.A. for the class asked if we rehearsed this question and answer. I tell her no, I had not thought of participating (in my head I add...we're just nerds). Hailey then wants me to continue asking questions and although I have some I don't want to scare her friends.
3:40 Walking back home, see someone parked in my driveway. Wonder if I forgot something? It was one of the Activity Day girls. She was sick this week but wanted to pass off the 13th Article of Faith our challenge for this month. Although she could have passed it off to her mom, I give out a little treat. I run inside to get my scriptures and the Article of Faith treat box. She passes it off perfectly. What a nice mom to drive her to my house to pass of a Article of Faith.
4:00 Treats for everyone. Then Nate plays with a friend and Hailey decides to watch a cartoon. I try to work on the Relief Society lesson for next month but I can hear the cartoon which drives me crazy. Why are the female characters all stupid and manipulative? Put my stuff away and turn my attention to dinner. What to serve?
5:00 My friend calls we are trading off driving duties for the girls dance class tonight. Her daughter forgot her dance clothes. Can I pick her up from the babysitter and take her home to change? I pull out left over burritos. The time for dinner prep just decreased. No one will eat the burritos.
5:30 Eric's home another one of my favorite times of the day. He casually mentions he has won tickets to a rock concert. He doesn't say "lets go" but he loves this kind of thing. It's a local band. I pick up the phone and call my favorite babysitter. Amazingly she is available. Leave to get B. to change for dance.
6:00 Dropped off the girls at dance. Headed to the grocery store to get treats for the babysitter and something better than burritos for dinner.
7:00 Attended a play at the local middle school. It was hysterical. We haven't laughed so hard in a long time. The kids did a great job. We were encouraged to boo the villain, cheer the hero, and say aah whenever the blind girl mentioned she had been blind since 1 year old.
8:40 Picked up the babysitter.
9:00 Headed to the concert. We wondered if we would be the oldest people there. The band is called Static Cycle and this was their last concert before leaving on a tour. We had a lot of fun. There were older people there, since they were taking pictures of the tour bus we thought perhaps the bands grandparents. We loved people watching, enjoying the music, and feeling grateful for no longer being young and single.
11:40 Bed.
Not a typical day but it sure was fun. I would have missed much of it if I had a work outside the home job.
3 comments:
Love it. And thats whats great about it all. Because you are there when your actually want you there. Not everyone could come to a debate at school with such short notice. The important stuff!
correction... when your kids actually want you there.
geez
I love your days! SO happy you can finally be at home and available for all this fun stuff. You deserve it and you're amazing! Love reading about all the fun things you guys get to do...It makes me want to move out there. =]
Post a Comment