For years Hailey has asked to be able to audition for a play. On Friday I happened to read in the newspaper about auditions for a play at a local theater and told her she could go. She has been so busy with dance that there hasn't been much time for anything else but with competition next week classes will be reduced back to one a week. Now seemed liked the right time. The newspaper simply stated they would read a cold script, sing, and dance. There are times when as a mom, I could have been more prepared or on top of things and this turned out to be one of those learning experiences.
There was a number to call for information and even an email address but my thought was we will just stop in after dance. Hailey was so excited. We found the theater and went inside. What happened over the next 3 hours was very painful for me, but Hailey was amazingly calm and handled the pressure well. We filled out the paperwork, got Hailey's picture taken and went into the theater. So far my vision of how this was going to work was right on track. There was a young lady who seemed to be in charge leading the girls in a little song and a dance. Oh, this is perfect...was my thought. There were about 15 girls and 5 adults through the process. The director came in and sat down.
This is when the whole process changed to painful. She asked the girls for their papers and then told them they each needed to go up on stage and sing the song they had prepared. My heart stopped beating, I clutched the chair handles, and looked at Hailey. Surely she would tell me that we could go home right now. I leaned over and asked what song she was going to sing. To my surprise she started naming songs and trying to figure out the words. The other girls started their songs and it was clear they had practiced. They sang mostly show tunes and they even had rehearsed movements and expression. Hailey doesn't know any show tunes. I told her to sing Happy Birthday, but she said no. She raised her hand to volunteer to go next and I stopped breathing. She walked up on stage told everyone her name and sung Away in a Manager- the version from the children's LDS songbook. The director asked her to sing Happy Birthday. Later when Hailey asked me why I told her I was sure it was because the arrangement was not one she had heard before. She didn't know if you were singing in tune or not. Each of the girls also had to act like something using only motion and no words based on what the director asked them to do. Hailey had to act like a pirate and a princess in different scenarios.
As time passed I wondered how much longer this would last, Hailey had just been through a two hour dance class and hadn't had lunch yet. My stomach was growling and I'm sure she was famished. The reading, acting exercises, questions just kept going and going. The list of things I wish I had brought was getting long. I didn't even have a purse (just a small wallet in my pocket). A bottle of water, a book, something to eat, cough drops, kleenex, some mom's carry purses. I wished I had asked her to prepare a song and reading the book the play was based on would have been a good idea too. Finally someone stopped the director and let her know that the time for auditions was over. I felt drained and exhausted (all I did was sit).
Hailey insisted that she had a good time and she sure hopes she gets a part. We'll be a little more prepared next time she auditions. But I was amazed at well she did and how much guts she must have to get on stage and perform, she did not get this from her parents. This was a valuable learning experience for me and for Hailey.
5 comments:
WOW! hailey gets kudos in my books as well! and mom , you handled it well too :)
it is rough to watch that, i am sure. but as long as she was happy with it ---
i was like that as a girl too. i wanted to audition for plays and so my mom would take me, and then i would clam up and do terrible. i'm still that way. i HATE to audition for anything...even though i know that i can do it....hailey rocks!!!!
Way to go Hailey!!! Love love love you!
The same thing happened to me last summer! Except it was ALL three of my kids. And the A/C was out in the building we were in and it was 90+ degrees inside! Oh, and we were there during the "Girls Only" time, my boys were embarrassed when asked to learn the dance with the girls. (I wasn't about to come back for another few hours for the "Boy Time"). We were DRIPPING in sweat. All of my kids sang "Happy Birthday". I hope that Hailey fares better than my kids did....we didn't get any parts. C'est la vie! I think the experience of auditioning is worth it alone! :)
I am so impressed with Hailey. I am so proud of her for sticking it out even when she was not as prepared as the others and you are so funny charlotte. If that girl of mine ever wants to do the same I will be prepared because of your story. Thanks for sharing.
Tamie, I was suprised to learn that you clam up.
Laura, you are brave to take all your children. Your experience was definitely worse than mine.
We received an email that Hailey did not get a part. She was disappointed but handled it well. We are trying to prod her in the direction of volunteering to help on the set.
Post a Comment