Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Mysterious Love Letter

The setting:  Late last night. My husband is making our bed with laundry fresh from the dryer and I'm watching Hawaii Five-O with our children.

Eric:  Charlotte will you come here please.
Me:  (Walking into our bedroom).  What?
Eric:  (Tosses a letter to me) You have some explaining to do.
Me:  (Opens the paper and reads)

 To my darling wife, No love more true than mine, I would protect thee every day. Among old things and life I put my heart's desire away.  All my love Eric D.

Me:  (Throwing my arms around him to give him a hug and kiss) Oh, you wrote me a poem, (a very strange one but it's the thought that counts right?) thank you!
Eric: (laughing and rebuffing my hug & kiss)  I didn't write that.
Me:  What?  It's signed Eric D. 
Eric:  When do I ever use my middle inital?
Me:  Where did you find it?
Eric:  It fell out of the sheets while I was making the bed.  Are all your boyfriends named Eric as a way to disguise them?
Me: You wrote this.  It starts to my darling wife and it ends all my love.  You always write that on your letters.  Do you need me to pull out our scrapbook?  Hey wait a minute... did you write this to try and trick me into admitting I was having an affair?  That's really a stupid trick.  (Laughter)  I'm not having one and I love you with all my heart. 
Eric:  I really didn't write it.
Me:  Oh, that's odd.  Where could it have come from?
Eric:  Not the previous owners of the house.
Me:  True...did you read your library book in here?  Maybe it fell out of that?  What a coincidence.... Eric D.
(Silence as we both inspect the letter)
Eric:  Maybe we could talk to the library and ask them.  They wouldn't give us the information.  (Pause) Do you think Hailey could have written this? 
Me:  HAILEY!  Come here please!

Yes, Hailey and Nate thought it would be funny to write the note and place it on our bed.  They traced it very carefully out of a Nancy Drew book so the handwriting didn't look like Hailey's.  The ensuing conversation between Eric and I lasted a least 5 minutes  and we both weren't sure if the other telling the truth at first.  Tomorrow, we will need to talk to Hailey about the difference between solving a mystery and creating a mystery. 

5 comments:

Jason.and.Carla said...

I LOVE THIS!!! Ha ha! Hailey is so funny! Man I miss you guys!... Dad you better be writing Char Char other love letters though! She deserves them! ;O)

Season and Isabella said...

That is beyond awesome! Looks like they are learning a thing or two from those Nancy Drew books huh?

The Layton Family said...

HILARIOUS! I love that. Thanks for the laugh!

Will Murdoch said...

That is absolutely hilarious!

Natalie said...

I can't stop laughing! That is so creative and funny!