Friday, July 11, 2008

Mom'isms


A friend of mine introduced me to her concept of mom'isms~ sayings your mom used to use all the time. Although we no longer work together occasionally I think of these types of sayings and wonder as well what my children will remember about me. My mom always used to say "You have the same pants to get glad in." We hated that saying. It meant nothing was going to change except perhaps your attitude if you wanted to. I find myself using this now with my children. Another saying was "If wishes were horses all beggars would ride." I'm just not sure I ever understand that one except that it was clear you weren't going to get whatever it was that you asked for at the time. Dad's have ism's too. My dad would always say "Be where you are supposed to be, doing what you're supposed to be doing, when you are supposed to be doing it." This correlated with his other ism- "You're not helping the family move along." Which generally meant that you were not where you were supposed to be, doing what you were supposed be doing, when you're supposed to be doing it. This happened frequently in our home because there was one bathroom and 6 girls who wanted to use to get ready to go to church or school or out. Needless to say - we hated these sayings as well. I wondered what my children would remember me for in later years? I'm sure they will remember "That's one......, that's two......." I also think they might remember "Hustle your buns, we're running late." But hopefully they remember some good ones as well such as "What was your favorite part of the day?" I often snuggle with each and ask them this question at the end of the day. Mostly their favorite answer is Mom is their favorite part of the day and then the tickling and laughing starts. I also hope they remember "I love you from the top of the head to the bottom of your toes and everything in between". Who knows - perhaps if I asked them they would have a different answer on what I say all the time to them. But whatever it is - it's fun to remember mom'isms.

No comments: