Monday, July 21, 2008

First Batch of Sweet Peas

Every year for the last 5 years at least I have planted a garden. The first three years I must have had beginner's luck. Everything I planted grew and I was able to have fresh sweet peas, beets, green beans, corn, radishes, tomatoes, cucumber and more from the garden. Sometimes when I timed it right I could get several batches of the cold weather veggies by planting twice, once at the beginning of the season and then again at the end. But two years ago that ended. My garden has not produced anything except weeds. Last year the corn did grow, but a squirrel moved into our neighborhood (nicked named Brownie by my children) and he ate every piece of corn. I did not actually see him do it, but I did see him leaving the garden. When I went to pick some corn one day there were half shucked corn cobs on the stalk. I have spent so much money and time to put in a garden that my husband teases me anything I get from the garden cost about $29 a lb and that it is not economical to have a garden. I wish I could prove him wrong but at this rate the cost per pound is only bound to go up. Again my garden looks really weak this year. I have planted beets twice with no success. My green beans seem to be stuck and do not appear to have grown at all in the last couple of weeks. There are tons of tomatoes on the plants but the leaves are turning yellow and curling. So I was so happy to be able to pick a handful of sweet peas yesterday. They were delicious, I don't care if they cost me $59 a pound it is so much fun to be able to pick something grown out of your own garden. It gives me hope. Maybe next year there will be a bumper crop.

No comments: