Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Deep Fried Brownies

My daughter needs a treat for tomorrow's church activity - a swimming party at the home of her teacher. She decided on brownies. Easy enough. I picked her up at 4:30 from day care and then ran some errands with the kids in tow. It was 5:30 by the time we got home. This is important because it explains what happened next. I had my daughter make her brownies - solo, while I made dinner. I had half my mind on making dinner and the other half running through a list of things that needed to be done. So when she asked if it mattered whether or not she put in just a little more than 1/2 cup of oil I replied - no not if it's just a tad. We are high altitude and the extra moisture will do the brownies good. Once she had spread the batter in the pan - it looked great- I popped it into the oven and set the time. About 35 minutes later I pulled what appeared to be a boiling pan of chocolate flavored oil out of the oven. It was her very first batch of brownies by herself, I felt they had to be saved. So with a roll of paper towels I tried to sop up all the oil. After wasting half a roll I put the brownies back in the oven for a few minutes to see if they would somehow set a little more. What I pulled out of the oven smelled wonderful but was just a blob of oily batter that was deep fried around the edges into a crispy black and doughy in the center. They are in the trash and now that she is asleep, I am about to go make another batch. Next time - I'll make nachos for dinner and pay more attention to the brownie making.

No comments: