Saturday, June 5, 2010


View of Kachemak Bay and the Homer Spit

 This week we spent a few days in Homer, Halibut capital of the world.  Eric has been looking forward to this trip for quite awhile.  The kids and I decided to tag along about a week ago.  It was our first visit to Homer but certianly will not be our last.  With almost 200 pictures it was difficult to choose which to preserve on our blog for the future!  But here is just a small sample of what we saw and did.  The drive was beautiful.


Turnigan Arm with the tide out.



The Kenai River


Mt. Redoubt- one of the active volcanos


Mt. Iliamna - volcano


Bishops Beach

We couldn't spend enough time at the beach for our children.  We took long walks, a trip on a 6 wheel, inspected tide pools, and saw so many eagles Homer should be called the Eagle capital of the world.








The colors of the starfish were amazing.

Nate never wanted to leave the beach.  It was cold and rainy on our second day and he was completely unphased by it. 

A local told us this is called a China hat clam.  It is edible. 

Although it was freezing, Hailey couldn't stay out of the water.


We saw at least 5 moose if not more, we stopped counting.  This was my favorite.  We have heard how dangerous moose are and last week I passed within 3 feet of one on a trail.  I didn't see him until I was next to him.  He didn't seem to care.  This is the first moose we encountered that was angry.  I was so glad the children got to see an angry moose so they would know the behavior that means get out of here, or if you must climb a tree! 



The point of the trip was Eric's Halibut charter.  The weather was terrible.  They were fishing in 300 ft. of water with 6 lbs weights.  Eric caught the largest on this trip - 47 lbs.  The limit is 2 and Eric finished by 9:00.  The first time in his life he was grateful to hear that he had to stop fishing.  We came home with a cooler full of Halibut and can't wait to cook it up for company!! 


The pretty side of Halibut.

Driving home the kids became so desperate for technology they actually shared headphones when the second couldn't be found. 

4 comments:

Jason.and.Carla said...

DAD that is AWESOME!!! I'm so glad that you finally got to go finishing! And that fish is HUGE! You rock dad!!! =) LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

Jason.and.Carla said...

(I don't think I've said "you rock" for like 7 years...That was weird.)

Season and Isabella said...

All of us Beals are way impressed with that huge fish! Great pics!

candace said...

I love how lush everything looks up there! I'm so used to the emptyness of the desert now. It just looks so peaceful and pretty where you are. Oh how I wish we could escape for a bit to see the beauty of Alaska! (or anywhere that has green in all honesty)