Friday, May 8, 2009

Free Eagle Food Available - Downtown Anchorage


For years Eric has wanted to get rid of the dogs. It was his idea to get a dog, I never wanted one much less two. We got the second to keep the first company. When he suggested it was time to get rid of the dogs a few years after we got them, I resisted because I think it's important to be responsible pet owners. I also think they teach my children responsibility, work ethics, and about the cycle of life. In a society where people "throw away" anything that encumbers their lifestyle too much to include not only things, but living beings like pets and most importantly families, I felt keeping the dogs even when they were no longer cute and cuddly would teach my children a valuable life lesson. In addition to those listed above keeping these dogs requires commitment. My commitment to teaching my children commitment is being tested to the limits.


It was such a hassle to drive with two dogs in the car for an entire week I wanted to let them go in the Yukon. When we crossed the border into the United States the border guard said "I see you brought your own Eagle food with you". If we could be so lucky, that would still fall under the "cycle of life" lessons my dogs are supposed to teach my children.


Now I have to keep them in an apartment all day long, take them for long potty walks, and make sure they don't bark. If someone complains about our dogs we could get kicked out of the apartment. I have to take them with me wherever I go. Oh, the stress.


Last they stink, so we took them to get groomed at Petco. For those of you who know my dogs you probably think this was a crazy idea. We have always groomed them at home. I offered to put on Boone's muzzle but the groomer said she would not need it (My dogs still fall under the wild animal category). Two hours later we got the call that Boone had bit the groomer twice and we could come pick him up. I was amazed he lasted that long. The term "bite" was probably too loosely used because I asked to see the "bites" and she just shrugged my request off. Lest you think our "good" dog Bessie did much better, she also snapped at a groomer once while getting her nails clipped. Can you believe it takes 3 to 5 hours to groom a dog? They had signs posted about why it cost so much - It was the best deal I've ever seen. The groomer said if we would bring them back with their muzzles on it will get easier with time. No problem, I love having someone else do this! Boone's grooming cost $22.00. They are seriously undercharging for this service. Bessie was only $10 more. They have new customers.


I'm done complaining about the dogs. They have been hassle but I guess we have stuck it out for 9 years whats a few more years? Where is that Eagle?

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Eagle Food? That is hilarous. I don't envy You but I do admire you! I couldn't have lasted as long.

The Layton Family said...

Bessie and Boonie are so lucky to have you, or they probably wouldn't have lasted long enough to be "eagle food!"

Ian said...

I think the "eagle-food" offer is more likely to be scooped up if you move closer to the edge of town. Just something to think about as you look for a house.

Lulu said...

I laughed and laughed, you are hilarous and bessie and Boone are lucky to have such a wonderful family, Portia loves Boone because he licks her alot and he loves her.(Portia is reading this with me.)
I hope someone loves me enough to be committed to me when I am no longer cute and cuddly or I may become eagle food.

emmysview said...

Around here the eagles only take the baby animals. But, maybe you will get lucky?