Wednesday, March 24, 2010


Yesterday the school nurse called and asked me to come get Nathan.  His nose had been bleeding for 40 minutes and still had not stopped.  She was very frustrated and asked me to take him to the doctor for bloody noses.  She told me he was missing class in 30 to 40 increments several times a week and felt it was too much.  Sometimes at dinner when we discuss our day Nathan would mention he had a bloody nose at school but I never received a call from the school that it was a problem until yesterday.  But we know the school nurse for several reasons.

Last week the nurse had to call me because Nathan threw up in class (on the floor of course)  and she told me he was "very" sick.  But the little boy I picked up wasn't sick.  His color was good, no temp, and his energy level was normal.  After talking with him about what happened before he threw up it appeared he was dehydrated or had simply gotten too hot at recess.  He was dressed in what I call his terrorist gear and it was 45 out side.  Too hot for all that gear.  Anyway, he ate pizza for dinner and never slowed down once. 

Nathan's class has three children with nut allergies. The poster outside their room was a homemade sign with a dancing peanut and a slash through him.  Whenever there was a substitute I would stop and ask if they knew what Nathan was allergic to and they would always answer "peanuts" but he is allergic to tree nuts.  So I ordered a new poster that shows all the nuts including peanuts and gave it to the school nurse for approval.  She approved the new sign  and intends to have it "follow" him through out his school career.

So last night at dinner when we talked about our day Hailey mentioned that she had been snow shoeing in P.E. and got smacked in the face by a tree limb.  The teacher sent her to the nurse to get an cold compress to make sure she didn't get a black eye.  Hailey related when she told the nurse her name "Hailey ____" the nurse looked at her and sighed loudly.  Poor Hailey coudn't figure out what was wrong.  But I laughed and laughed.  I think the school nurse is tired of the _____ family. 

2 comments:

Natalie said...

That is so funny. Poor Nolan told me he didn't feel well yesterday morning and I thought it was just because spring break was over, so of course he threw up on the bus on the way to school. I know, I get the mom of the year award!

The Layton Family said...

Ha ha ha! You should change your last name.