Sunday, September 13, 2009

Winter Nesting




The leaves are changing and we can see snow on the mountains in the distance. The air is cooler and we can feel and see winter coming. The last two weeks I have focused on getting ready for the cold and dark. The children play outside at recess and P.E. until the weather reaches a chilly 20 below. My friends in Denver will laugh because I used to complain about the children being outside in a balmy 17 degrees. Snow pants, neck gaiters, and proper snow boots are a must not only for recess but for P.E. I have been assured that children learn to put these on and take them off quickly enough to make it out to recess and back. Our family has decided to take up either snow shoeing or cross country skiing this winter in an effort to get outside. So aside from the search for winter gear- I'm also searching for sporting gear. And last I have started searching for activities for the kids to keep them busy over the long cold months inside. We will have 5 hours of light a day and I'm told when we finally see the sun creep over the mountains even for 5 minutes that we will feel elated. Right now the weather is so beautiful I love being outside and soaking up the sun as much as possible. I for one am going to miss it when it disappears.

6 comments:

The Layton Family said...

Looks so warm and cozy! If only that were the case a few months from now when your sewer pipes freeze over :) 20 below or bust right?!?!

Will Murdoch said...

Just yesterday I read the weather report in Anchorage and it was 50 something. I wondered when the crisp air would leave and the frigid temps come. Recess at 20 below...oh my!! Hopefully you'll find some REALLY warm clothing to make it through the winter. I suppose 20 below is just like 110 in Phoenix...you just step out in the weather when it's only absolutely necessary!

Tamie said...

where'd they go....all i saw was a pole snow gear and nothing else? ;)
wow....such an adventure...i know i keep saying that, and just so you know---just a bit envious of it (darkness, cold and all!)

Ian said...

Who is that in the black outfit? And is that a little "bling" glaring off those gloves?

sallyssimpleblog said...

I am not sure I would like only 5 hours of day light. The Kids look so cute in their gear. Can Nate even see! I love all your pictures of Alaska, it looks beautiful there.

Unknown said...

Wow. Only 5 hours of sun a day? I don't think I could do it. Or the extreme cold temps. I positively hate being cold. I'm so glad to hear that you guys are liking it up there, though. It would be a very neat experience. I can't remember, did you say this was a temporary move for a few years or are you there until it's time for the "tides to change"?
But man, recess at 20 below??? I would so worry about the kids being warm enough, even with all their warm gear on!