At the Russian River we found a trail that fishermen were using to go to the river. While we walked we sang to alert bears to our presence...Bluebells, cockleshells, easy...BEAR! What? Did someone across the river just yell bear? Then more urgently...THERE'S A BEAR! A fisherman was in the river waving at us to go back. We all froze for an instant, then turned on the trail and RAN. Here is a picture I took just before we first heard BEAR!
Running back to the car I was looking out for the bear, watching for the trail and thankful our children were good runners. They stayed right with me, poor Hailey saying over and over "I'm so scared". Boone was last in line because he has the shortest legs - and Eric was going to throw him to the bear for a little treat if needed. Back at the road we were joined by fishermen who had been on the riverbank all waiting to see where the bear would go and if they could spot it. Although they were talking big about not being afraid of bear, we noticed none of them went back to the river. While we ran I thought about the dinner conversation we had the night before at a friends house. The host had worked on a man whose face on been mauled off by a bear at the Russian River. Back in the car Eric and I laughed although I was still shaking. How's that for adventure? We then drove to Jim's Landing where there is a rocky beach to see the river. Again pictures can not convey how beautiful this area is.
Last we drove towards Portage Glacier and visited the animal conservatory again. The drive was so beautiful. Lest you think all the family enjoys the view - the kids watched a movie and played games.
6 comments:
that last picture is STUNNING!!!! & i'm pretty sure that NO picture would do anything justice up there :)
i think that you had just a little too much excitement for me in regards to bears...having to run to the car to avoid one is not my choice of an aerobic workout :)
Wow!! What adventures!
I am not sure Bear would have been my only four letter word.
I agree with Natalie and her comment. Four letter words, four word sentences, four reasons to never go "adventuring off" again... wild bear, mauling bear, bear, bear! I couldn't imagine all of you running back to the car fast enough. I can imagine Boone bringing up the rear AND dad feeding the bear a Boone treat! Glad you guys are safe.
I am glad you are safe and sound, I love hearing of your adventures in alaska though and can't wait to visit you during the hybernation period. ha ha
Oh my! I agree with Tamie - too much adventure with the bear! I hope you don't have too close of an encounter with a bear ever!!
Those last couple pictures were really beautiful!!
Are you guys enjoying being in Alaska?
Post a Comment