Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It Would Have Been Easier to Fly

But then we would have missed:

1) Our life simplified. Selling everything and just taking our clothes seemed like a good idea at first but we had to keep whittling down. Each child took a small bag of toys. Dad took the computer and I chose my breadmaker. It's amazing what you can live without!



2) Our "traveling companions" It became a game to spot the green bus family. A family from Illinois moving to Alaska to be closer to the wife's family because they had just spent ten years by the husband's family. Before we left - we joked we looked like hillbillies. After seeing this family we decided we didn't deserve the label. Our other "traveling companion" was a hitchhiker. No we didn't pick him up but he was a kid in his twenties with a dog. We passed periodically but he beat us into and out of Haines Jct. YK.



3) Wildlife. We saw more wild animals in this trip then all our trips in the past combined. 5 moose and so many buffalo we stopped pointing them out. Seeing the first white rabbit we thought somebody let their Easter bunnie go. But then we realized after seeing them everywhere - that is just the color of the bunnies.











4) Scenery - one lake we passed in the Yukon Territory was 90 miles long. This drive is a must if you like to camp and fish. The locals all said it is best to travel the Alaska Highway in early spring or fall to avoid the bugs. There are towns about every sixty miles.













5) The worst dive we have ever slept in. Our car was broken into in Calgary and we had to replace a window. But when we drove into Lake Watson and up to our hotel I was sure our car would be vandalized again so we left the doors unlocked. However nobody took a thing. Our hotel was dingy, dirty and downright gross. I asked Eric if this was really the best he could do? Yes, it got good reviews on the internet. It now has a bad review. The border was stapled to the wall. The floor was so sticky our feet stuck. The tub was dirty so I was worried not even flip flops on the kids feet would keep them safe from germs. It was my first impression of the YK but after getting to Haines we were pleasantly suprised.

6) Terrific locals. Everyone stopped to talk with us; the snow mobilers in the hotel room next door, the people in the parking lots, the bell boys at the Marriot in Calgary stopped to see the dogs and bring them toys, everywhere we went people were very friendly.

7) Hailey's first attempt at going to the bathroom on the side of the road in the middle of nowwhere. I realized too late I had failed to teach her this valuable skill.

8) Nathan's constant talking. At one point he said: Dad where are we? Dad: In the middle of nowhere. Nathan: Is it called that because all the people who lived here died?

9) Silence. It was so quiet every morning and actually still is. I can't believe I am in a city. It is camping quiet.

10) Time with family. With miles behind and miles to go without many people around we had plenty of time to chat and laugh on our drive.

8 comments:

Lulu said...

I can not believe all the beautiful pictures you took. WOW! I laughed and laughed reading about your trip, I'm sure now H. has learned to tinkle 0n the side of the road. and N. is hilarious.

Will Murdoch said...

Wow!! What an experience. So, where are you now? How long did the drive take? I can't even imagine.

Natalie said...

I can't wait to come visit! Maybe I should get the girls to practice their potty skills now! I love N. comment. You are such a good story teller!

The Layton Family said...

Your drive seems amazing! I'm so relieved you all made it safely. I would have loved to be in the car with you guys so I could join in on all those great experiences. . . minus the nasty hotel! We miss you, Gavin asks to see you often.

Gwen said...

Congratulations Charlotte! What an amazing adventure - enjoy!

Hail said...

Hi Laura, We are in Anchorage right now. We took 7 days to drive here, but we could have done it in less. Some days we only drove for 6 or 7 hours - one day we drove 12 because there was no in between stopping place. The condition of the roads, the weather and the lower speed limit helped dictate where we would stay as well.

Jason.and.Carla said...

Okay so now that you had those great experiences, (that I am actually sad to say I missed) Can you please come back!?!? ;O) Jason and I miss you guys sooo much.

Amy Jo said...

You made it safe and sound!!! Yay!!! LOVE the story telling and amazing pictures :) I was smiling and laughing the whole read through :) Miss you:( :( :(