Tuesday, February 26, 2013


Hailey often refers to people as nerds, but everyone is a nerd.  There are sports nerds, book nerds, smart nerds, she equalizes everyone with the term nerd.  Since she applies it to everyone it doesn't seem to be a cut down in a anyway.  Having always been just a nerd in general I find it funny to categorize and to even include football players in the nerd category.  Anyway,  Because of my children I am now a scout nerd and a young women's program nerd. 

When I was asked to be the Cub Scout Committee Chair I had no idea what that was and really no idea about scouts either.  It's been a learning process for me and the committee but I can now say I love the scouting program.  Nate just completed his requirements and became a Wolf at the last pack meeting.  I'm not sure this was have happened if I wasn't the committee chair which requires me to do things like get trained, attend round table and understand scouting. With my new found knowledge Nate and I got to work getting those requirements done.  Everything he learned seemed important for all of us so often scouting has been a family event. 

 
Hailey has been participating in the Young Women's Personal Progress program and as her mother I was encouraged to participate as well.  It seemed a little daunting at first but now I am well on my way to completing my first project and helping Hailey finish hers.  She has collected stories of faith from her family and is putting them together in little books.   She is also participating in a play and I am so proud of the time management skills she has learned to balance her school work, play rehearsals, and activities.    As with scouting many of the things Hailey studies ends up in our family discussions, family home evenings, and scripture study. 
 
I am enjoying being a scouting nerd and a personal progress nerd while watching my children participate in these programs.  Sometimes I wonder what kind of nerdiness will they try next?
 
 

No comments: