This year we went to the Iditarod. Technically no one really wanted to go except me because we had just watched dog races the weekend before. But when you think of Alaska don't you think of the Iditarod? It seemed wrong to miss it again this year. So we bundled up and headed out into the cold.
We went to the ceremonial start which is in Ancorage. The real start is in Willow the next day. It started at 10:30 and we were an hour late. But we still found free parking two blocks away from the track and found a clear spot to watch. It was pretty exciting to cheer for the dogs.
Sports aren't something I'm great at watching. I always forget how many points for a touch down in football. The only reason I attend baseball is to eat a hot dog and the only reason to attend hockey is the fighting. Apparenly I'm not the world's best Iditarod watcher and if I go again it will be to see the dogs.
People in the crowd were yelling at me and pointing to something black on the ground. I thought they were trying to tell me Nate lost his glove. I started telling everyone that my son did not wear gloves and it's not ours. Finally the kind lady next me told me that the mushers throw the old dog booties out to the kids. Who knew mushers did this? I obviously didn't. Nate gladly retrieved his new found treasure which stinks like you wouldn't believe. He is very proud of it and tried it on Bessie who walked as if she had a thorn in her foot.
Shortly thereafter a woman appeared to drop to the ground. My gut instinct was to run right over and help her up. This time the kind lady next to me stopped me from making a fool of myself as she explained the woman was simply trying to get a good picture. Seriously? After that we saw others dropping to get a good picture. I wanted to try it out to see if you could get a good picture, but without snowpants it would be too wet and cold. I don't know if it was me, but the kind lady moved a few yards away.
| Come on, doesn't it looks like she has fallen and can't get up? There isn't even a team coming yet! |
We really enjoyed the Iditarod and next year I'll try to get that great shot.
1 comment:
How fun! I would love to see that. I stinking love Alaska!
Post a Comment