Tuesday, March 6, 2012


Sunset

This winter the snow just keeps coming.  I feel as if we live in a snow globe.  Right now it is snowing.  I love February for one reason, the sun peaked over the mountain creating shadows in our living room and backyard.  It means eventually winter will end.  Eventually the giant snow berms blocking our view of the road and road signs will melt.  Soon there will be no more need to pull out the snow blower and shovels.  Not soon enough, Hailey will get to stop cross country skiing in P.E.  I wonder if we will even notice when we  stop checking the temp first thing in the morning.  The drive around town will get less treacherous and we will stop seeing cars sliding all over the road.  I won't have to literally push the dogs outside to do their thing.  I love winter but I'll be grateful when it's over this year. 


Ship Creek



February also added a new addition to our neighborhood.  Our hopefully friendly neighborhood moose.  The presence of a moose has added the need for extra caution before the dogs or kids go outside.  He is fun to watch, this morning he jogged across the cul de sac and appeared to look both directions before crossing the street. 


We are still trying to get out and enjoy our world.  We went to Fur Rondy this year to watch the dog sled races, see the train exhibit, get free hot chocolate for the kids, and see the ice sculptures.   We visited Ship Creek to see the ice, watched dog sled rides, and enjoyed taking pictures of people with fur hats.  Some parts of Alaska however come to you. 

Last night while I was making dinner an earthquake rumbled through the house.  The windows rattled at the front then rattled at the back and then it was gone.  I sure hope we only get quick ones.  Only once have I started to count 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi when it seemed to last longer than normal.  Usually they happen so quickly that whoever feels it yells "Did anyone else feel that?"  Whether one feels it or all, we always check to see where it was centered and what it was rated.    I just hope if there ever is a big one it isn't while there is tons of snow on the ground.  Brrrr.

No comments: