Wednesday, December 1, 2010

 The week of Thanksgiving we woke up to an ice rink.   Hailey and Nathan had the entire week off from school.  What an unexpected surprise.  I think school should always be out for the week of Thanksgiving.  We slept in late, watched a lot of westerns, ate some junk food, did some shopping, hung out with friends, and just enjoyed our time together.   I made pumpkin bread pudding for a dinner group and it was so delicious it is now my new favorite Thanksgiving dessert.    

On November 30th we sold our home in Denver. Eric and I had discussed it off and on over the years but we never were in agreement.  When he wanted to sell, I didn't.  When I wanted to sell he didn't.  Then about 2 months ago I contacted a realtor with the thought that it wouldn't hurt to find out IF we could even sell our home.  When I told Eric he was in agreement.  We listed it on a Saturday and one week later we had an offer at full price.  After the inspection and a few changes we actually closed.   We have so many happy memories in that house, it seems weird that someone else will live in it. 

It seems impossible that so much time has passed and that the kids who were young when I married Eric, although still young, are now adults.  No more laundry to ceiling (literally), missing clothes, toys, tickets etc. , broken picture frames, Nerf bullets landing in dinner, water gun fights, dares to eat chocolate covered bugs, decorating for holidays, stupid pet/human tricks, waiting up late for someone to come home, begging for chores to be completed, and trying to pull everyone together for prayer and scripture study.  The house for me will always represent a time in our lives when there were lots of children still at home. 

I will also miss my garden and my $76.00 a lb beets, carrots, and sweet peas.  Eric always joked that it cost me far more to maintain the garden area than it would have just to buy the veggies at the store.  

When we finally realized the house was sold, I thought of the commercial that states "You are now free to move about the country". 


In  October my niece Kylie asked me if I wanted to participate in National Write a Novel Month.  The goal was to write a 50,000 word novel between November 1st  and November 30th.   I registered online and even started writing and met my goal for the first week.  But November 30th my book only had 17, 400 ish words.  I thought it might be hard to know what to write about.  It turns out writing was the easy part, sitting down to write was the hard part. Maybe next November will be less hectic.


4 comments:

Jason.and.Carla said...

I can't believe it's finally sold! SO sad though when I really sit down and think about all the memories we had there. I'm just excited for the opportunity it gives you guys though. But this better not mean you're never coming back...Because remember, I know where you live! (And yes, that is a threat.)

Micah D.L. said...

NaNoWriMo is crazy hard! Todd did it one year and it was pretty epic...good for you for going for it!

Will Murdoch said...

Glad you sold the house in this economy...and quickly too!

You should read, "The $64 Tomato", I think you'd like it. :)

The Layton Family said...

What a bitter sweet post. I knew every memory/experience you listed in the house, not all of them am I proud of! But the stupid dog/human tricks takes the cake for me!!! How fun to experience the ice storm. . . and a week off from school :)