Once a week when time and weather permits I meet with a group of women and learn how to quilt. The quilt pictured above was started in September and still isn't finished. It seems I am making every mistake possible in my efforts to get this quilt together. It's been taken completely apart once, partially taken apart twice and even with my efforts to correct mistakes there are still mistakes that are small enough to ignore. I'm not being a perfectionist and just ripping out every mistake, just the big ones. So while everyone moved onto a new project this week, I am still ripping out seams. To be fair some women didn't finish their quilt. They set it aside to do next Christmas and just start a new project. Wanting to avoid a closet full of unfinished quilts I decided to keep working on this quilt. I left quilting feeling like a failure. This is a pretty simple quilt but like other things in my life I am always trying to do too many things at one time. The mistake that needed corrected this time was that some of my seams were too big by just a smidge but they added up on one square to a 1/4 of an inch causing a pucker when it sewed onto the quilt. So one of my new year's resolutions this year is to slow down and focus on the task at hand. I decided that when I burnt the bacon for dinner last night while making pancakes, emptying the dishwasher, directing the kids chores, making pancake syrup, and answering the phone. It occurred to me my quilt isn't the only thing suffering when it comes to hurrying and lack of focus.
3 comments:
I'd love to learn how to quilt. Good luck, and keep going! It looks great!
I proud of you for sticking to it! Besides, having extra quilts on hand is great. I hear for Alaskans the second most important item in your emergency kits is a quilt. Or was it a gun. . . no wait I remember now, it's a fishing pole! Cute quilt!
Your quilt looks really cute! I would not stress too much. Quilting is supposed to be fun and Relaxing!
Post a Comment