Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The House is Quiet

Too, too quiet! Hailey's first day of school was last week. I felt a little lump in my throat but having company and Nate still at home made it easier.

Our company went home on Sunday. We sure loved having Ian, Mandy, and Emma. Nolan went home a week ago- we miss him too.
Dropping Nate off for his first day of school was an event. The children sing a goodbye song and then you leave. I went to the nurses office to drop off his EPI pen and as I was coming in one door, Nate was coming through the other door with a big bloody nose. He saw me and his face just went stony. He was MAD- that I left him at school. He wasn't going to let me get away without a big scene. After changing his shirt, cleaning him up and walking him back to class- I left him, he was crying and repeatedly saying "I don't want to stay" over and over. BIG lump in my throat. I walked to have breakfast with the mom's who also had dropped off their kids while trying to keep tears from squirting out my eyes. Then at 9:50 his teacher called me to let me know he had settled down into the routine and was doing fine. I appreciated that so much. Yesterday for his last day of freedom we spent the day exploring dark and scary caves full of large spiders, snapping crocodiles, and slippery bridges over rushing rivers. In between explorations we mopped, made Cinnamon rolls, and did laundry. It made me a little sad to realize that these chores were going to be a lot easier and faster to accomplish without my little helper. School better be worth it- because I really want to keep him home for another year!!!

6 comments:

Tamie said...

oooohhhh! what a CUTE picture of nate! he's really that big already?!?! hmmm.....i know how you feel :)

Natalie said...

They are looking so grown up! I really love Nates school story!

Jason.and.Carla said...

AWWW I have to call those cute things to find out how school's going. CHAR CHAR that is the funniest story about Nate! I love it! I'm glad that you have some time to yourself now. OOO you can Scrapbook! And put the Word Of the Day in after Oprah! Man you can do so much! But it's more fun having those stinkin cuties around! Good luck over there!

The Layton Family said...

Okay, make me never want to take my kids to school!!! Tearing up already and it's not even my time. I am sure you guys are already in the swing of things and getting into a routine. I'm proud of you for being tough!

Anonymous said...

Ok honestly the tears are on.. Greg thinks I'm silly and is trying to cheer me up. I miss you guys so much! It's so hard not being able to stop by when we're on your side of town :(

Unknown said...

Hailey and Nate have gotten so big and grown up!