This week Hailey informed us she REALLY wanted a nickname and she wanted it to be Hailstorm. After explaining nicknames should be shorter than your name or at least shorter than Hailstorm she settled on Stormy. I understand wanting to have a different name. I wanted to be called Louise and wear glasses so it would appear I was smart. Louise didn't stick and my eyesight is still great. So I stuck with Charlotte and however smart that name may sound. Maybe this phase will pass? We had tickets to the arena football game and some of Eric's co workers were attending. Hailey reminded him that she needed to be introduced as Stormy. Eric did it in a round about way, this is my daughter Hailey who wants to be called Stormy. His co workers encouraged this name calling it cute and asking why she chose it. Apparently they never had a daughter who wanted to be called Stormy. The name just sticks in my throat- hey...uh....Stormy... could you pass the milk? We got more practice using this name in public when we had breakfast the next morning again with some of Eric's co workers, but it is not getting any easier. What name or nickname did you want? Did it stick?
5 comments:
I like her nickname. It is very cute. I remeber wanting to be called Tom when I was about 5 years old. I wanted to be a boy and that was a great boys name. I am glad that did not stick!!
Sally
this too will pass, it is differnt. we will try to remeber to call her stromy
I love it! That is the cutest story. Remember? I always wanted to be Amy. No reason.
I myself did not want a nickname although my family called me "BoBo"..not sure why. But I remember wanting to name our family dog, FooFoo and no one else liked that name :( My mom named the dog Scooter instead.. I still think FooFoo would have been better!!!
When I was younger, I was called Candee, however, that thankfully stopped in early grade school. However, I still occasionally get called that by people who think I must go by a nickname, although those are few and far between. And some of the kids at the school I work at (and some of their parents, because it's what the kids call me) call me Miss Candy, or Miss Candies (thankfully the majority have it right and call me Miss Candace).
In Jr High, I was experimenting with nicknames and didn't want to go by "Candee". I tried "Dacey" (the last part of my name with a Y) for a few weeks. Again, thankfully that didn't stick, either. And I have made peace with my name.
Post a Comment